AWARDS & PRIZES
Backyard Grand Champion: Award and free entry into next year’s contest.
1st – 10th Place each category: Award and the envy of your peers
2017 BACKYARD BOOGIE RULES AND REGULATIONS
No motorized vehicles allowed on Festival grounds
1) Entry fee will $175.00 to enter chicken, ribs and sauce. You will be charged $175.00 whether you enter one or all three categories. You must enter all three categories to be eligible for “GRAND CHAMPION”
2) All meat will be inspected before cooking. The teams will be allowed to “prep” ribs and clean chicken at home. All meats must be “unseasoned” and stored in separate containers, held at a temperature of 40 degrees or below.
3) After inspection, meat can be seasoned and/or marinated.
4) Cooked meats must be held at a temp. of 140 degrees or higher.
5) No food or drinks are to be given or sold to the public. Only team members.
6) 9 x 9 styrofoam boxes will be provided by “SMOKIN’ BLUES AND BBQ” for turn in of entries.
7) Each box will have a team # and should have 7 (seven) separate and identifiable pieces of meat to be judged. The extra piece is for the Table Captain. Garnish will be provided, as well as a container for sauce.
8) Turn in times will be posted. Cooks will have a 10 minute window (5 before; 5 after) the posted time. The times are: 12:00 noon-sauce; 12:30 chicken; 1:00 ribs. Make sure the judges have hot food to judge.
9) Awards will be given to the top 10 in the meat categories and the top 3 in sauce. Plus a “GRAND CHAMPION” award for the best combined score in chicken and ribs.
10) No gas grills. Charcoal, wood, or cooking pellets only! Remember: “KING OF THE COALS”
11) After cooking, ash cans will be provided to dispose of all ash.
12) Trash cans will be provided. Please keep Hammond and your area clean.
13) All grill fires must be contained. No open fires on the ground. Use charcoalstarter (chimney) or start fire in cooker.
14) Some water will be provided (by hose) and ice will be sold.
15) A 15 x 20 foot cooking space will be provided. ONLY!
16) Decisions by the judges are final. A mandatory cook’s meeting will be held on Saturday to go over the rules and answer any question that you may have. All cooks will follow the same rules.
17) NO PETS! Don’t torture your dog with all that meat.
18) Set up can start Friday, but there will be no security. Last year, there were people “cooking” through Friday night. We are not responsible for items left unattended. Feel free to come set up your tent, listen to the BLUES and enjoy yourself!
19) Failure to follow “our” rules may cause your team to be disqualified. We want everyone to have FUN and be SAFE.
20) Chief cook and all Indian cooks must be 18 years of age to compete in the “King of the Coals” challenge.
21) Everyone must have fun or go home.