Chicken Little: Smokin' Hammond BBQ Challenge
Chicken Little Contest
The “Chicken Little” BBQ event pits children from the ages of 6 –16 in a contest to see who can BBQ the best chicken in Hammond. Rules will state that an adult must accompany the children, but the children will have to do all of the preparation, seasoning & cooking on their own. Parents may help in the sectioning of the chicken only. Judges will award prizes from 1st to 10th prizes in this category. All entries will need to bring their own BBQ Pit. Only charcoal pits will be allowed. No gas pits please!
Entry for Chicken Little Contestants: $50.00
LCDC Presents Site Decoration Contest
We are proud to announce that our Title Sponsor, Miller Lite, will be hosting a Site Design contest for the Chicken Little Competition. The winner will receive an award.
There is no entry fee for this contest. The only rules are that your decorations be in good taste and fit within your cook site.
Judging will take place on Saturday of the event!
We can’t wait to see your team’s originality.
2017 Chicken Little Rules and Regulations
No motorized vehicles allowed on Festival grounds
1.The entry fee to participate in the Chicken Little BBQ Competition is $50.00 per team;
2. Each participating team will receive 1 (one) numbered Styrofoam judging container, with garnish;
3. Team participants must be between the ages of 6 years old and 16 years old;
4. A parent or guardian (over the age of 21) must be present on-site at all times (from set up to tear down for each participating team). Any team not under adult supervision will be disqualified;
5. All BBQ pits will be lit by the Hammond Fire Department only.
6. Teams will use any charcoal pit of their own, and any type of charcoal/lump coal as they choose. The use of gas grills is prohibited;
7. Each team will be cooking chicken thighs only;
8. Check in and set-up will begin at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, March 25, 2017;
9. Each team will be assigned a numbered cooking slot within the parking mall, and are asked to keep their equipment (i.e. pit, chairs, ice chest, tents) within their designated area;
10. Teams are encouraged to decorate their area with the team’s name, sponsor, mascot, etc. (all in good taste please);
11. A mandatory “Cooks Meeting” will be held at 9:30 a.m., all teams must be present;
12. Teams must clean and trim their chicken at home, and the chicken must be held on ice at a temperature of 40 degrees or less;
13. All chicken must be inspected by the “Official Meat Inspector” prior to any seasoning or marinating;
14. Team participants must do all preparations, seasoning and cooking of their entry. The supervising adult(s) may only assist in the sectioning of any meat and any emergency dealings with the lit or hot BBQ pits. Adult participation outside of these boundaries will case the entire team to be disqualified;
15. Teams must hold their cooked items at a temperature of 140 degrees or higher until turn in;
16. The official turn in time will be 1:30 p.m., with a window of ten minutes (5 minutes before time and 5 minutes after time); No late entries will be accepted;
17. Each team must turn in seven (7) individual chicken thighs in the numbered container with garnish; Only the chicken and garnish are allowed in the turn in box;
18. The judging for this event will be “Double Blind” to ensure the integrity of the event;
19. All decisions by the “Judges” are final;
20. Judging scores will be tabulated by the KCBS and awards will be presented from 2nd through 10th places. One only “Grand Champion” will be named at this event;
21. Each team is responsible for the clean up of their assigned cooking area; trash and hot ash disposal containers will be placed within the Chicken Little area.
22. Failure to follow any of these rules will cause for disqualification of the team.
23. Each team is expected to HAVE A GREAT TIME